[MUD-Dev] Simutronics' premium server

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Wed Jan 30 16:18:30 CET 2002

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Michael Dekker wrote:

> The Platinum service is only successful for Simutronics (IMO)
> because the marginal cost of running and maintaining and extra
> server is very low.  Also, note that the service is something of a
> head-ache for the volunteer staff that develop for the game, as
> they now have to make sure that all changes are implemented twice.
> Platinum has often gone months before a 'GM' notices that
> something implemented in Prime is still missing in Platinum.

Hmm, right. We've been talking about various ways to do it. If there
was enough interest, we'd probably hire someone to develop that
server full-time, and branch it from the Achaea code. That's what we
did with Aetolia, and it's worked well.

Syncing together major projects like a new area or whatnot shouldn't
really have to involve volunteers implementing them on both servers
though. I'd think it'd be a not-too-massive task to write all the
relevant information to file and read it in on the other server.

--matt