[MUD-Dev] Re: Re[2]: "Advanced" use of virtual worlds?

rayzam rayzam at home.com
Wed Jan 30 21:19:32 CET 2002

From: "Travis Casey" <efindel at earthlink.net>

> Now, I agree that roleplayers are not "more advanced" -- they're
> just playing the game in a different way.  However, I don't see
> how roleplaying, in and of itself, denies someone any interaction
> with other people.

Travis isn't the only or first one to say this, that roleplayers are
not more advanced. That they play the game in a different way.

  But:

    You can roleplay and be a socializer.
    You can roleplay and be an explorer.
    You can roleplay and be an achiever.
    You can roleplay and be a killer.

Of course, you can be any of those 4 without roleplaying. Now, I'd
say offhand that being a socializer is playing the game differently
than a killer. But either could also be a roleplayer: socializing
about in-game events, or limiting your targets as a killer (like
killing Good Players, or Evil Players or Elves, etc).

In essence, you cannot roleplay without being one of the classic 4,
but you can be any of the classic 4 without roleplaying. So I
wouldn't call it playing differently. I'd call it playing with more
or less added [a killer limiting themselves because of RP might be
considered 'less' versus an explorer roleplaying that may be
'more'].

    rayzam
    www.travellingbard.com