[MUD-Dev] Re: The Future of MMOGs... what's next?

shren shren at io.com
Mon Jul 1 06:03:19 CEST 2002

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002 Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com wrote:
> From: shren [mailto:shren at io.com]
>> On Fri, 21 Jun 2002 Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com wrote:
>>> From: shren [mailto:shren at io.com]

> Well thats why I said have sanity checks and throttling. I don't
> think the problem can be prevented, but it can certainly be slowed
> and made less destructive. As far as I know NWN can have filtering
> of players on servers anyway, so you can check if peoples equip is
> viable for your module before letting them on.

You can filter the characters.  That means you draw a line and say,
"nobody taller than this beyond this point."  You have no way of
keeping out "unsavory" characters who were edited, if they were
edited to a point below your cutoff point.

> One good filter would be just how much xp they've made in how long
> and also cross reference with the server they did it on. Sure they
> can power up whilst watching tv if they create the right dungeon,
> but who cares if I can measure that and stop them playing with me
> or affecting my game?

You can't measure that.  Say that the server they did it on is down,
or the server they did it on lies.  There's no reason why one would
power up quickly - if the server flags xp gain of above 5000
experience an hour, gain 2000 an hour.  It's not like you have to
sit there and watch it.

It's not secure, which is why I imagine they didn't do it.

--
The client needs a tool built. He sends you a description of a nail...
</a>