[MUD-Dev] It's About Time Dep... Food

Anderson Anderson
Mon Jul 1 10:19:47 CEST 2002

From: John Buehler [mailto:johnbue at msn.com]

> Don't make food a required direct consumable for player
> characters.  Make food an NPC consumable.

After recently playing CivII as a break from coding, I came up with
an idea similar to this for my mud.

Basically, I wanted people to farm, bake bread, grow crops,
etc.. but of course people never would do this without a good
reason.  You always want to sell food fairly cheap so that newbies
won't have their characters starving (sending people away early
isn't a good way to grow).

So I was thinking you have people able to grow food in bulk, and
then transport it over to a storage room.  This room feeds the
invisible "population" of your city.  (Of course each kingdom would
have their own storage rooms).  Then you could have your population
of your kingdom working hard to feed the invisible people of the
kingdom.  Extra food in the storage room means growth (more tax
revenues, maybe larger armies, etc), less food means the population
may shrink.  Of course over time the food would be eaten, so you'd
always need people around to resupply.

Sounded like something people may enjoy, doing their best to
increase the size of their city (as long as having a large city
gives you nice benefits).

Dave