[MUD-Dev] Continuity of experience in movies

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Wed Jul 3 06:54:43 CEST 2002

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, eric wrote:
> From: "Matt Mihaly" <the_logos at achaea.com>

>> I don't see anything inherently wrong with linear games, or with
>> deciding you wish to restrict how your audience views your art.

> Nothing, as long as you know that "restrict how your audience
> views your art", really means restrict your audience. Restriction
> is just lost buisness and its not such a good buisness model.

There isn't a game either made or theorized, by anyone, that does
not restrict your audience. Further, saying that restriction is a
bad business model is a bit off. Movies restrict how you interact
with them. They do quite well. Books restrict how you interact with
them. Amusement parks restrict how you interact with them.

> The value and importance of art is the *art*, not the artist. They
> are very often connected anyway, thats just how our society works,
> rock stars and hollywood stars often get to speak of their
> personal beliefs and causes.  Does the average person really care?
> I doubt it. Maybe the above is just my personal belief, its
> certianly a static one in my life. I recall an english teacher in
> high school when I was called on to explain a specific poem we had
> been reading, and then she went on to say I was wrong and that it
> meant X. It was humorous to me then, and still humorous to me now.

What does a good busines model have to do with art?

--matt