[MUD-Dev] Re: The Future of MMOGs... what\'s next?

Valerio Santinelli tanis at mediacom.it
Wed Jul 3 12:15:01 CEST 2002

From: "Frank Crowell" <frankc at maddog.com>
> From: "Valerio Santinelli" <tanis at mediacom.it>
>> From: "Koster, Raph" <rkoster at soe.sony.com>

>>> Rewind back to early 1998:

>>>   I wanted to release a suite of tools for UO. Specifically,
>>>   release a standalone Windows server (unencumbered by all the
>>>   multiserver cluster stuff--we had one for internal
>>>   development),

>> And we would not have had to build an UO server emulator in order
>> to bring up our own worlds. That would have been a hit on the UO
>> community. I wonder why the execs at Origin/EA didn't want to go
>> for

> Or have released a lightweight multiuser server and the tool for
> world building.  The majority of the people involved with emulator
> projects are not really interested in creating emulators -- they
> just want to have their version of worlds.  I believe that even
> the Unreal emulation project is more about porting to Linux than
> just to have an emulator.  Unreal is very good about having an
> open system as it is.

You are right. No one was really interested in emulating UO per
se. It's been done in order to be able to create our own worlds to
play on. And it worked quite fine, I can say. There still are UO
shards with hundreds of players online every day.

> With hindsight, UO had the chance to be the PC equivalent for
> virtual worlds. The other candidates could have been Quake or
> Unreal, but both continue to focus on a more limited approach to
> their worlds -- more niche marketing.

UO had the chance, but they missed it completely. And now its
technology is way too old to even consider building more on it. I
wonder if Nevrax is going to have a big impact on this. They are
already giving away their MMOG engine under the GPL licence. It is
going to be a good starting point to build our own virtual worlds
since it comes with all the features of a modern MMOG and has an
extremely rich API.  It's surely not going to be used by casual
world builders, but people with hacking skills are supposedly going
to be happy about it ;)

--
Valerio Santinelli
One Man Crew Gaming Community (http://www.onemancrew.org)