[MUD-Dev] Re: The Future of MMOGs... what\'s next?

Damion Schubert damion at ninjaneering.com
Mon Jul 8 13:20:16 CEST 2002

From: Valerio Santinelli

> The only problem about making it a fully persistant game is that
> variables tied to characters, that are used to track quests
> completion and similar thing, are not saved with the characters
> themselves. I guess Bioware is going to release a patch fo this
> behaviour.

The people attempting to create true persistent worlds with true
character persistance have run into greater problems with that.  The
one I've heard fairly frequently is problems adding substantial
changes to the game after the game has been up and running without
having to do a player wipe.

As a disclaimer, Bioware has said repeatedly that their game was not
designed to run Persistent Worlds, and that while they didn't mind
people trying, Bioware wasn't planning on adding features that
supported PWs over the Tabletop experience (the Tabletop experience
being, of course, the cornerstone of their game design).

That being said, the tenacity of the mod community for both UO and
Quake have taught me that players can find numerous ways around
these issues, and lord knows there are enough people out on the web
attempting to solve these issues that I give good odds to
workarounds to these problems coming, even if Bioware doesn't lift a
finger to help (and I think they will eventually).

> Now, if you've seen the toolset released by Bioware, you can agree
> with me that creating a world with that tool is really easy. I am
> building a persistant world for NWN myself and I can make new
> areas in a matter of minutes. Adding content is easy and can be
> done in whatever fashion you like. I even got to spend 20 or 30
> minutes creating a single item and tweaking all its values to my
> liking. But you can also drop standard items into your world with
> a single click and build such content in 5 minutes. It all depends
> to you, the server builder. And I see great power in that toolset.

The toolset is an absolute dream.  I give them mad props for the
toolset.

--d