[MUD-Dev] Crafting/Creation systems

Peter Tyson PeterT at codemasters.com
Thu Jul 11 10:01:37 CEST 2002

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Paul Boyle wrote:

> I'm interested in any articles or resources people could point me
> to on the development of in-game creation systems for MUDs,
> MMORPGs, and to a lesser extent, any computer game, like the
> Lego-based games, or The Incredible Machine.

The crafting system we're implementing at Dragon Empires is going to
be nicely different. If you want to email me about it feel free to.

With our system players will use machines to make their goods,
machines they can leave or even log off and let work. They buy
resources for a set price and then try and sell (or store) the
finished products at another price. All purchasing is done through a
central market unique to each town.

We figure the main fun in crafting is advancing to new recipes,
becoming known for your goods and making piles of cash! With DE we
allow everyone to craft a few basic items and to move in time to
advanced items. However, we don't think it's fun to sit for hours
clicking the same box, so the boring production elements are cut
back.

Peter Tyson
Community Liaison Manager - Dragon Empires
Codemasters