[MUD-Dev] Re: The Future of MMOGs... what's next?

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Mon Jul 15 10:45:52 CEST 2002

From: shren [mailto:shren at io.com]

> This does show the dangers of raw tabletop system adaption.  While
> I often find tabletop mechanics to be superior to MUD systems,
> that doesn't mean that the tabletop mechanic is going to make a
> perfect MUD system.

Well I think a lot of us have always suspected that tabletop
mechanics wouldn't necessarily work too well when subjected to the
cold harsh light of millions of online players. NWN seems to
demonstrate this with inconsistent balance between the classes, and
further shows (imho) how the typical D&D style caster is just an
ill-conceived entity. I wish games would be a little more
adventurous with casters, the model so many base theirs on is
fundamentally flawed.

Dan