[MUD-Dev] Mass customization in MM***s

Zach Collins {Siege} zcollins at seidata.com
Tue Jul 16 06:55:18 CEST 2002

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002, Matt Mihaly wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Jul 2002, John Buehler wrote:

>> If I'm flying my X-Wing fighter and get blown out of the sky in
>> the first 10 seconds of the fight, am I going to be happy about
>> having simply been part of the casualties?  Especially if I've
>> lost one of my lives - which might be expensive?

> So make death relatively painless. Maybe being blown out of the
> sky only takes them out of the encounter for X period of time.

Somewhat like CounterStrike, then, where a player becomes an
observer until the round is over, either by one side's victory or by
the time limit running out.  I wouldn't so much mind watching the
climactic battle versus the Death Star, it was fun the first time,
right?  Besides, what if you could respawn outside the combat zone
at any time, but without your ship or any of the supplies you loaded
onto it?

Imagine being killed in the first thirty seconds of a huge battle,
watching for two minutes and deciding your side will win, then
returning to base to tell the folks who stayed behind.  Then you
decide you want to go back in, but while your personal gear stayed
with you, the base has no more X-wings capable of flight.  So you
choose a B-wing, but it needs refueling, meaning another two-minute
wait.  By the time you finally come out of hyperspace, all you can
do is scavenge the floating scrapyard and hope you find your old
astromech that had the coordinates to that really nice little planet
with the cantina full of ice sculptures...

And then you find an active astromech with the coordinates to a
hidden treasure, one you haven't tried to loot before, one you know
your best friend wants badly enough to trade you his _personal_
spaceship just for this information!

.... To me, that would be gameplay worth paying for.

--
Zach Collins (Siege)