[MUD-Dev] A Question on PvP and PK

ghovs ghovs at plex.nl
Tue Jul 16 10:56:51 CEST 2002

Eli Stevens wrote:
> Ron Gabbard <rgabbard at swbell.net> wrote:

> Your question is somewhat loaded however, because of the implication
> that the two PK systems are the same.  DAoC's RvR is not a
> free-for-all, and it was a focus of the game design / balance from
> the start.  DAoC basically implements a PK switch that can be turned
> on and off almost at will (by entering or leaving the frontier areas
> / PK dungeon).  My understanding of the EQ PK servers is that other
> PKs can come to you anywhere in the world, at any time (is this
> correct?).

This is correct, but one can gain favor with the guards of most
cities, leaving it quite risky to assault someone in there, since
you can't tell if the guards favor you or your target more. Outside
the cities, it's pretty much without any other risk than being
defeated by your intended target, or some friend coming in to rescue
them.

> I suspect that what we are actually seeing is _not_ that there is
> an odd distribution of PK-oriented players, rather that there is a
> general pull toward being the hunter and a strong aversion to
> being prey.  Control is the key here.  Almost never does a player
> engage in RvR in DAoC _unless_ it is on the player's terms, which
> makes it much more palatable.

That's right. Free for all is only really fun when you're an
extremely unattractive target :)

> To continue the disussion...  DAoC has done pretty well with
> zone-based, large team PK.  What other methods are there that
> allow players to manage their risk in (limited?) PK environments?

What seems to work particularly well is forming guilds, and exacting
revenge on anyone who attacks a guild member.

rgds,
ghovs