[MUD-Dev] A Question on PvP and PK

Sasha Hart Sasha.Hart at directory.reed.edu
Wed Jul 17 13:17:00 CEST 2002

[Ron Gabbard]

> I guess I'm looking for insight on creating a PvP+ world in which
> PvP can be enjoyed by players without being shoved into a corner
> or made into a separate game that people join when they get to
> level X... without turning the world into the lawless 'wild west'
> where might makes right.

I agree! Fortunately there is a great big toolbox for doing anything
but the impossible (e.g., allowing PKs to inflict misery on the
unconsenting while avoiding unconsenting misery).

  - Safe zones, fleeing, and other kinds of cowardice; incl. systems
  where you sacrifice offense for defense ahead of time, to avoid
  one complaint

  - NPC/automated justice systems; player based justice systems

  - Admin based "justice," e.g. toading for abuses

  - Ability for players to avoid interacting with past defectors

  - Ability for players to defect on past defectors

  - Consent & implied consent systems; sparring & duelling

  - Offense at least as, if not more expensive / risky than defense;
  PD/ shallow or no power differences as a function of time spent in
  game

  - Probably several more pages I've missed

Sasha