[MUD-Dev] A Question on PvP and PK

apollyon . apo11yon at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 19 01:24:01 CEST 2002

[Sasha Hart}
> [Ron Gabbard]

>> I guess I'm looking for insight on creating a PvP+ world in which
>> PvP can be enjoyed by players without being shoved into a corner
>> or made into a separate game that people join when they get to
>> level X... without turning the world into the lawless 'wild west'
>> where might makes right.

> shallow or no power differences as a function of time spent in
> game

I would disagree with this suggestion simply based on the assumption
that people ENJOY seeing that they have made progress over time by
having a clear distinction between themselves and those who have
invested less time.  It brings a sense of pride, growth, and
progress.

However, I think the problem that power differences create could be
reduced almost to non-existence with the proper structure.  DAoC has
taken the approach of segregating the PvP areas by level with four
different strata, three for levels 20-35 covering a span of 5 levels
each and then one more for everyone of any level.  Another approach
might be to reduce the strong-arm tactic and leave it up to player
choice, but make attacking someone weaker than yourself so
unappealing as to discourage it's common use.  Either way, for a
true PvP game, growth and progress would have to be rewarded for PvP
kills and not AI bashing, or at the very least the two would have to
be equal.

In the end, I suppose what you'd be looking for would be a situation
where players were strongly encouraged to engage in PvP against
others of appropriate level and just as strongly encouraged to avoid
engaging in PvP against those weaker than themselves.

apollyon

"You must be the change that you wish to see in the world."
- Mahatma Gandhi