[MUD-Dev] A Question on PvP and PK

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Fri Jul 19 17:47:17 CEST 2002

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002, Paul Boyle wrote:

> As you yourself pointed out though, any system that isn't exploit
> free & perfectly balanced is unsuitable for PvP's.  This is
> another reason MMORPG's are often unsuited to PvP.  It's
> exponentialy more difficult to balance the broad array of classes
> and skill levels (character and player) within the MMORPG
> community, that it is for the small amount of character types in
> say, Counterstrike.

This is untrue. Achaea/Aetolia is not perfectly balanced and thrives
on PvP, including individual vs. individual and group vs. group PK,
limited competitive economics, highly competitive politics, and so
on. I should probably add that I don't even really know what people
mean when they say something is "perfectly balance." Perfectly
balanced from what perspective? There's no way, even in theory, to
take a system with multiple elements and make it perfectly balanced
in everybody's eyes, because everybody weights every element
differently.

--matt