[MUD-Dev] A Question on PvP and PK

Sasha Hart Sasha.Hart at directory.reed.edu
Wed Jul 24 04:25:39 CEST 2002

[Apollyon]

> I would disagree with this suggestion simply based on the
> assumption that people ENJOY seeing that they have made progress
> over time by having a clear distinction between themselves and
> those who have invested less time.  It brings a sense of pride,
> growth, and progress.

Well, it was just intended to be an idea, you can combine them in
any way you like. All of the suggestions I put on that list had some
other problems, and each of those problems had various ways of
solving them that create other problems.. you're simply not going to
converge on a problemless design, doesn't exist.

But while we're here, there's nothing inherently wrong with this
idea - some people also ENJOY killing newbies, or ENJOY playing by
themselves, or ENJOY being in a game where you don't start out
killing rats and work for two years to achieve "Citizen" rank and
the privilege to engage in any kind of vaguely interesting PvP. The
suitability of any of these ideas isn't really an absolute thing.,
there are just too many variables of intent, what other systems are
present, etc.

> In the end, I suppose what you'd be looking for would be a
> situation where players were strongly encouraged to engage in PvP
> against others of appropriate level and just as strongly
> encouraged to avoid engaging in PvP against those weaker than
> themselves.

Well, I agree with you in the context of games like DAOC, but you
know, I snap up anything that weakens the concept of level lately.
10+ years on the leveling treadmill and I really have trouble seeing
the merit of partitioning a player base into level groups for PvP,
and then giving them incentives to complete the game, get bored and
drop out. I'll take my chances even in the likely event that I am
totally wrong and off-base. If I haven't said anything about it in
six months then you'll know you were right. :)

Sasha