[MUD-Dev] Are gratification-based (online) societies doomed to being immatu re?

Dave Rickey daver at mythicentertainment.com
Wed Jul 24 10:10:57 CEST 2002

From: "Derek Licciardi" <kressilac at insightBB.com>
> From: Matt Mihaly
>> On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Derek Licciardi wrote:

> I am glad to hear that someone in the MUD community has seen this.
> The only question I have is that if you take your experience and
> scale it by a factor of 100 or 1000 subscribers, will it still
> hold true.  The threads in the article seemed to not think so and
> I think we have a law about the maturity of players as scale
> increases or something like that.

It's pretty simple.  Players need to be able to lose, and still have
fun.  Too often, in the name of giving the winners "real victory"
the losers are left with nothing, and therefore no reason to
continue playing.  This was the fundamental problem with 10Six: New
territory became playable only when a newbie entered the game and
was utterly destroyed.  Eating your young is rarely a successful
survival strategy.

--Dave