[MUD-Dev] A Question on PvP and PK

Damion Schubert damion at ninjaneering.com
Thu Jul 25 11:50:46 CEST 2002

>From szii at sziisoft.com

> I also started CS late....about 2 months ago, in fact.

> The difference between us?  I'm willing to get in there and scrap,
> even when it means losing.  You don't get better by quitting (CS,
> EQ, chess, craps, etc).

Sure.  But you know what?  The mass market lacks your patience.  I
went through that same learning curve to get good at the games that
I am already good at (Unreal Tournament, LMCTF, etc), and I didn't
relish starting at the bottom of the ladder again.  Many people are
unwilling to start at the bottom of that ladder the first time.

PvP is frequently overwhelming to the new player.  You can get
attacked anywhere at any time.  You're at a disadvantage because you
lack character skill (low level).  You're at a disadvantage because
you lack player skill (knowledge on how to win).  You don't have a
pack to run around with yet.  You're fighting with cruddy stock
weapons.

Will there be a handful of players who persevere through those odds
in order to be as good as other players?  Sure.  It will be a
handful of people.  In some games, it requires little more than
tenacity.  In others, however, it requires that you quit your job
and focus on learning the game full-time.

And when players log onto a game and realize that, not only are they
on the bottom of the ladder, but that it will take hours and hours
of camping and learning in order to stand on even ground with their
counterpart, they will make a decision as to whether or not this
game is worth their tenacity.

--d