[MUD-Dev] Preventing recipe decomposition (why?)

Anderson Anderson
Thu Jul 25 14:07:08 CEST 2002

From: Sean Kelly [mailto:sean at hoth.ffwd.cx]

> Anecdotes aside, rather than ask how to make a skill system
> uncrackable, why not ask why you'd want to do such a thing in the
> first place.

Well, from my point of view, people do crafting for mainly two
reasons.

  1. To get the end product.

  2. To discover all the secrets about the crafting system.

The end product will be made either way you do the crafting, either
a set system with no secrets, or an uncrackable system.

The main issue for making an uncrackable system is number 2.  Many
people use the crafting systems to see if they can't figure out the
secret to become one of the "best" crafters.  If the formula's are
available online (which they would be, if they're not uncrackable),
then there are no secrets.. it's impossible to be "special".

This goes along with the issue of some muds making maps for every
one of their areas, and posting them online.  Now that I can see the
maps online, I see no purpose in exploring all their areas.  I
explore simply because there's a chance I'll find something that no
one else knows about.. some secret cool thing that I can get, sell
and people will say "dang, where did you find that".

I think a lot of people are attracted to a system where they know if
they put in enough time, there's a possibility that they'll figure
out something that no one else has, and that's what would be lost if
you allowed information to be transmitted between people.

Now, I agree that our characters should be able to "learn" from
someone else's character.  Maybe you could learn what your specific
recipe is, or maybe your character could have a "crafting" skill
which could improve if they watch someone else craft.. etc.  In
either case, I think it's good to stay away from things which could
easily be put on a webpage.

Dave