[MUD-Dev] java clients

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Fri Jul 26 19:25:41 CEST 2002

There was a thread recently (a month or two ago? I was unable to
locate it with a quick archive search.) talking about java clients
for text MUDs and complaining about the general lack of ability to
resize the window, change the size of the font, etc. We were curious
about whether there was any real reason you couldn't do this, so
went ahead and did it. You can check out our new java client at
www.achaea.com/javaclient/play.html. What you see is pretty much
what you get, though if you login with a character (or create one),
you'll get health, mana, endurance, and willpower status bars. It's
got a nice feeling when using it, and has key-binding and variable
substitution capability, window and font resizing, different
backgrounds, etc. That's the good news.

The bad news was that I should have listened to something
Christopher Allen told me. He said they (Skotos) had investigated
expanding a java client they have for more general use, but ran into
a lot of problems with Java, and man was he right. We have been
unable, for instance, to enable any sort of copying from the output
window into a clipboard, and are also unable to log anything to the
player's computer. This inability alone basically renders Java
unsuitable for a full-featured text MUD client. (And while I'm not
much of a programmer, if any of you clever programmers out there
have figured out good work-arounds for this, I'd love to hear them.)

--matt