[MUD-Dev] Mass customization in MM***s

Marc LaFleur marc at genesisfour.com
Mon Jul 29 17:07:02 CEST 2002

Raph Koster:

> I'm using a pretty loose definition of group. In your examples in
> your email, you cite getting together to trade goods, you cite
> forming a guild.

> The common statement seems to be "I don't like grouping, I want to
> do everything solo." And doing everything solo leads to no social
> ties. This is very different from what you are stating, which is
> "I don't like grouping because I want to have a short play session
> and traditional party-up-and-kill game play takes too long."

You are correct. I am not looking to "do everything solo". I
personally look for some in-between "solo" and "forced group".

I think that grouping, when it is a purely social tool, adds a lot
to the game. It helps to build social ties that in turn keep players
interested in the world itself. My problem comes in when grouping
moves from a socialization tool to a game mechanic.

When all you are doing is grouping for the sake of the game
mechanics, you are not building social ties at all. The group exists
to fill a selfish desire to raise one's level. They are not group
for the "common good", they are group to accumulate objects in the
game (treasure, experience, etc).

Ultima Online is a good example. There was little value in Guilds
other than social and most players wanted to find a guild to play
with. And even though the game itself offered few tools for it, the
social ties in the game were so strong that player run towns popped
up with complete government and elections.

It sounds to me like you are planning to implement a similarly
flexible system into SW:G (albeit with significant enhancements).

I guess I now have another reason to want to play your game. In
fact, stop reading this. Right now. Go work, make game. Its your
duty as American (insert patriotic music here). :)

Marc