Hangul (was Re: Réf. : RE: [MUD-Dev] Mass customization in MM***s)

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 30 23:35:11 CEST 2002

On Thursday 25 July 2002 3:01, Damion Schubert wrote:

> I don't know exactly what the language font for Korean is, but if
> you go into any Korean Lineage server, you'll see a lot of symbols
> above the heads of characters which aren't latin Characters by any
> stretch of the imagination.

The major writing system in Korea is called Hangul.  It is a
syllabary -- each symbol represents a particular syllable.  This
means it has a lot more characters than English (which builds
syllables from multiple characters), but nowhere near as many as
traditional Chinese writing, in which a symbol corresponds to a
particular word.

Hangul has exactly 140 characters.  Each of these is a consonant +
vowel combination.  There are also separate symbols for the
consonants (of which there are 14) and the vowels (of which there
are 10).

I've never dealt with typing Korean (heck, I don't even know
Korean... I'm just interested in languages and writing systems), so
I don't know exactly how they set it up.  If it were me, I'd map
each of the consonants and vowels to one of the English letters --
since there are 24 of those, and 26 English letters, that wouldn't
be a problem.  You'd have to type two keys to get one Hangul symbol,
but since each symbol is equivalent to two to five Roman letters in
the standard Romanization of Hangul, it'd actually be more efficient
than typing in Romanized Korean.

Thus, typing for the Koreans shouldn't be too much of a problem, I'd
think... not like the nightmare that Chinese can be.

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_     Travis S. Casey  <efindel at earthlink.net>