[MUD-Dev] Gossip, fiction and tactical lore

Sara Jensen liet at lietcam.com
Wed Jul 31 01:36:21 CEST 2002

Damion Schubert wrote:

> I recently did an IRC chat where I espoused my opinion that player
> stories are more important than character stories.

In my experience, playing Dark Age of Camelot on a "roleplaying"
server, in a strict "roleplaying" guild and strict "roleplaying"
alliance, "roleplaying" in MMOGs is all about communicating in what
you've called "fictional terms."  It's not about complicated
backstories and poor Elizabethan English, for most -- it's just
spending an extra moment to compose an in-context sentence when
speaking with others, instead of a string of abbreviations.  It's a
language game.

I once messaged a stranger after my entire group died in a dungeon,
and said "our party'd been brutally slain and we're in need of
miracles." She said "????," but she still came out of her way to
resurrect us.  I got to stay "in character" and she got to laugh at
someone for being "daft," so we probably both enjoyed ourselves.  :)

/tangent