[MUD-Dev] Alternative Hit Point Systems?

Sie Ming SieMing at sewardweb.com
Wed Jul 31 08:31:10 CEST 2002

At 01:39 PM 7/27/2002 -0700, Britt wrote: (assuming Sie got the
quote right this time)

<EdNote:  Now now!  Play nice.>

> I'm trying to find alternatives to the AD&D-style of hit points
> but I'm not having much luck. Couldn't find anything on google,
> and can't seem to come up with anything on the mud-dev archives
> (although this is probably due to my inability to do a decent
> search.)

> I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or concepts for a
> different way of doing hit points?

Is anyone here familiar with the Play-By-Mail game DuelMasters?
It's an "all we do is combat" type of game where you manage
"characters" who are gladiators.  You set their physical
characteristics, weapons, armor, style of fighting, and list what
they do in various situations.  The game (1-2 weeks later) sends you
the results.  Here's a sample:

    TARUL of THE DARK FOUNDATION challenges ORCREST of METALSTORM
    TARUL is 5'4".
    TARUL is right handed.
    TARUL has chosen to wear PADDED LEATHER ARMOR and will wear a LEATHER CAP.
    TARUL will swing a BROADSWORD.
    TARUL uses a PARRY-STRIKE fighting style.
    TARUL is not quite bright enough to use this weapon to full effect.

    ORCREST is 6'.
    ORCREST is right handed.
    ORCREST enters the arena in RINGMAIL ARMOR and will wear a STEEL CAP.
    ORCREST fights using a LONGSWORD and a MEDIUM SHIELD.
    ORCREST will use the PARRY-LUNGE style.
    ORCREST is well suited to his selected weapons.
    ORCREST has a SHORTSWORD thrust into his waistband.

  The audience falls silent as the dueling begins.

    TARUL circles to his right.
    ORCREST strikes with his MEDIUM SHIELD!
    TARUL parries the attack with his BROADSWORD.
    ORCREST lunges with his LONGSWORD!
    TARUL is wounded in the BREAST!
    ORCREST makes a slashing attack wielding a LONGSWORD!
    TARUL takes a hit to the RIBS!
    TARUL is becoming desperate!!!
    TARUL is staggered visibly!
     From the stands a voice yells "Come on, TARUL, you can do it!"
    ORCREST is fighting defensively to preserve his energy.
    TARUL is out of control and misses widely!
    ORCREST makes a slashing attack wielding a LONGSWORD!
    TARUL parries the attack with his BROADSWORD.
    Weapons clash as the warriors each strive for an opening.
    ORCREST lunges with his LONGSWORD!
    TARUL is hit in the UPPER CHEST!
    TARUL is gravely injured!
    ORCREST is going for the kill!
    TARUL falls lifeless to the ground!!!

    ORCREST has won the duel!
    The crowd chants its praises!

    ORCREST'S popularity has GREATLY INCREASED.
    ORCREST learned an Attack skill.
    ORCREST learned an Initiative routine.

I played it for a while in high school, but was way too poor to
really get into it ($ per duel per gladiator).  This looks like a
nice system for combat where you never see what your HPs are.
Unfortunately, it's not a very transparent system, and it's hard to
see what they are doing behind the scenes.  You can read more about
it here: http://www.duelmasters.com

Does anyone know of a game that gives combat summaries like this?

Sie Ming
AKA
Lloyd Sommerer