[MUD-Dev] ADMIN: List configuration changes

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Wed Jul 31 13:18:21 CEST 2002

Writing as list owner:

  Some of you have recently started receiving requests to confirm posts
  you've sent to MUD-Dev and may have been surprised by that.  This
  message is intended to discuss various changes I've recently (last
  night) made in the setups for MUD-Dev, their impact, and the reasoning
  behind them.

  In an effort to control SPAM and virus email sent to MUD-Dev, as well
  as the torrent of such mail sent to mud-dev-owner and mud-dev-admin,
  I've installed am extra filtering system in front of MUD-Dev.  The
  details were recently (briefly) discussed on Meta:

    http://www.kanga.nu/archives/Meta-L/2002Q3/msg00005.php
    http://www.kanga.nu/archives/Meta-L/2002Q3/msg00013.php

  Those interested in the background reasoning of the system as well as
  the forces driving its adoption may wish to see:

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail-21/mailman-developers/2002-July/012710.html

  Or for the cursory How-To I wrote on how I built the system:

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail-21/mailman-developers/2002-July/012700.html

  What does this mean for you in practice?

    Loosely it means that if you send a message to MUD-Dev from an
    address which isn't listed as a subscriber you'll receive an email
    message asking you to confirm that you really did send it, and meant
    to send that message.  The confirmation request will look something
    like: