[MUD-Dev] Alternative Hit Point Systems?

Jack Britt mud at experimentzero.org
Wed Jul 31 14:09:26 CEST 2002

From: "Ammon Lauritzen" <ammon at simud.org>
> On Sat, 27 Jul 2002, Jack Britt wrote:

>> I'm trying to find alternatives to the AD&D-style of hit points
>> but I'm not having much luck. Couldn't find anything on google,
>> and can't seem to come up with anything on the mud-dev archives
>> (although this is probably due to my inability to do a decent
>> search.)

>> I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or concepts for a
>> different way of doing hit points?

<snip>

> First off, it would be possible to drastically limit the range of
> hit points. Say 2 is average and 5 is godlike. Any time you suffer
> an injury that is actually life threatening, you take one or two
> points of damage.  Otherwise, you just ignore the hit.

> If you want, you can incorporate some sort of endurance system to
> go along with this. Endurance would be spent whenever doing
> something strenuous, but would also be reduced when you take
> non-threatening hits.  So, it is possible to wear somebody out to
> the point where they can no longer defend themselves or walk or
> whatever. Then they take a telling blow.

I was thinking of doing something like this. Each body part would
have x number of hit points. A torso would have 3x, head 2x, arms
and legs would have x. Whenever a successful hit is made, there's a
chance that the character will lose a point. When the hit points are
at zero, that part is dead (arms are hacked off, torsos are
disembowled, etc.) If its the torso or head that's reduced to zero,
the player is dead. If its an arm or leg, the player might bleed to
death, and suffered penalties to some skills rolls.

Has anyone tried something like this before?

Britt
--
"My mom says I'm cool."