[MUD-Dev] web-based MUD editing tools?

Sanvean sanvean at ginka.armageddon.org
Wed Jul 31 20:07:42 CEST 2002

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

> MUDs are often programmed by editing local files on the mudhost,
> like lpmud *.c files and so forth.  Giving wizards easy remote
> access to such files without giving them carte blanche over the
> mud server is a challenge.  Has anyone met that challenge using
> web-based editing tools?  Like, you fire up a webpage that points
> at the mud, you manipulate files from that web interface, and hey
> presto the mud gets changed?  Seems like someone somewhere would
> have done something more feature-laden and cross-platform than the
> telnet drill by now.

We've taken a step in that direction using scripts: formerly written
in a sort of homemade language, and more recently in javascript. Any
staff member can use a web interface to write a script and upload it
for use on the test port, and then debug happily. We could make it
so they could use the same interface to load it into the live game,
but everything that goes into the game has to be proofed/approved by
another team member, so we've left that capability out of the
equation so far. This is a relatively recent change (within the last
year) and it's done a lot to ennable staff members to do wild and
wonderful things with scripts with a minimum of torment and crashes.

Sanvean
Armageddon MUD. Roleplay required.
http://www.armageddon.org