[MUD-Dev] remote 56K editing, especially for lpmud?

Valerio Santinelli tanis at mediacom.it
Wed Jul 31 23:13:08 CEST 2002

From: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com>

> I found a project.  I am now a wizard on a lpmud.  I have a
> /homedirectory and I can type ls, mv, rm commands from within the
> mud.  Editors are available within the mud, but the character echo
> is too slow over my 56K modem connection to be usable.  My work is
> going to consist mainly of creating foo.c files in /homedirectory.
> I need an efficient way to download foo.c to my local computer,
> edit it, then upload it again.  Ideally, I'd like a setup that
> makes the download-upload step transparent to me.

> The mud owners are not willing to give wizards system shell
> accounts or system FTP access.  They feel, rightly or wrongly,
> that they are more secure if they don't.

I can't understand why they would not allow you to have FTP access
to your homedir. If the admin is able to install an FTP server like
proftpd or pure-ftpd, he could also chroot your user to his home
directory in order for you not to roam around the system's
directories.  Talk with the admins and convince them to give you FTP
access. That's the best way to go and solve your problem.

--
c'ya!

Valerio Santinelli
tanis at mediacom.it