[MUD-Dev] software engineer: testing (was: [DGN] Creating a MUD)

Damion Schubert damion at ninjaneering.com
Thu Jun 6 15:28:18 CEST 2002

>From Miroslav Silovic

> I do this in my solo projects, too. The effects on the speed of
> development have been nothing short of stunning. In particular,
> pervasive testing makes me less conservative about redesigning
> things - I know my back is covered if I break something (extreme
> programming, anyone?).

We're pretty big proponents of Extreme Programming here at
Ninjaneering.  The confidence that you get from having test suites
that test most basic interactions in your code with the press of a
button is one that vastly reduces your stress levels.  The one
problem we've faced with EP is that it has proven more difficult to
adhere to its standards when under the fire of an imminent deadline
(but isn't that true of all coding philosophies?)

---d