[MUD-Dev] R&D

Richard Aihoshi aka Jonric jonric at vaultnetwork.com
Thu Jun 6 19:28:35 CEST 2002

At 08:45 PM 04/06/02 -0700, Brian Bilek wrote:
> Richard Aihoshi aka Jonric wrote:

>> This reflects what seems to be a fairly common assumption, that
>> game companies are run by people who, for the most part, don't
>> enjoy games.  I do know a few people to whom I think this
>> description is applicable, but not nearly enough generalize
>> across the entire industry.

> I am generalizing here, most certainly, but it is from my
> experience with the friends I have in a variety of game industry
> companies.  If you have had a different experience, I would enjoy
> hearing your thoughts to the contrary.

My thoughts to the contrary are that the people who matter in terms
of this topic are those in positions where they can either make or
influence decisions on funding.  Among those I know who qualify,
there are some I would regard as not being gamers, but not enough to
apply this label to the entire group.

Apparently you know different people and/or have a stricter personal
definition of what it takes to be a gamer.

>> It also assumes that having gamers in charge would translate into
>> more good games being made and the industry being more
>> successful.  Sounds great, but looking at the broad picture, the
>> body of evidence supporting this position is less than
>> overwhelming.

> No, this is not what I was saying, and I apologize for not being
> more clear.  The assumption in my message is not that -gamers-
> being in charge would translate into more good games and a more
> successful industry.  It is that if the people in charge had a
> better understanding of the products they are selling, and the
> nature of the customers they sell to, (holding an inherent
> assumption that many business executives do not) it would
> translate into better products and more profit over the long term.

Sure, gamers have a better understanding of what gamers will buy.
For an interesting commentary on that topic by a veteran designer,
have a look at the first part of The Four Myths of Game Design at
http://www.designersnotebook.com/Publications/publications.htm

>> Blaming the ills of the entire industry on just one thing is
>> attractive in its simplicity, but in reality, it's far too much
>> of an over-simplification to be of much real use.  Just a bit of
>> food for thought.

> You make a great point, and I apologize for sounding simplistic.
> I certainly didn't mean to imply that everything that is wrong
> with the industry is based on just one thing, if I did.  Perhaps
> you are lumping my thoughts in with some generally held
> perceptions?

Yes, absolutely.  The first words I wrote were "This reflects what
seems to be a fairly common assumption..." and my comments were
directed at those assumptions, not at you specifically.

Cheers.

Richard Aihoshi  - "Jonric"
Editor in Chief, IGN Vault Network
RPG Vault http://rpgvault.ign.com