[MUD-Dev] Character skill distribution and trade-offs

Ron Gabbard rgabbard at swbell.net
Thu Jun 6 19:05:17 CEST 2002

From: "Sean Kelly" <sean at hoth.ffwd.cx>
> On Wed, 5 Jun 2002 Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com wrote:
>> Ron Gabbard [mailto:rgabbard at swbell.net]

>>> The ramifications of 'mesmerization' actually went even deeper
>>> as the DPS I had planned for 'magic' in relation to 'melee'
>>> damage had to be reduced to maintain the challenge of the
>>> encounter and offset the ability to recover during battle.  In
>>> addition, those characters with lower health and/or defense
>>> became paperdolls in the option where mobs are 'beefed up' to
>>> offset the effect of 'mesmerization'.

>>   - I suggest you either don't have mesmerisation in the game
>>   unless you want to balance every encounter around it.

> Or restrict it by adding some sort of "saving throw" mechanism, so
> (a) all mobs have a chance to resist and (b) powerful mobs
> (especially ones integral to quest segments) are highly resistant
> or immune to domination

I've heard the 'saving throw' suggestion from a number of people on
this topic and it is a viable option.  With a skill like
'mesmerization', how high do you need to make the resist rate in
order for that skill not to dominate other player skills or the
content? 5%? 20%?  50%?  If you have to have the resist rate so high
that the chance of it working is a coin toss, is it worth even
implementing?

Personally, I like a little randomness in things as it shakes up
certainty.  However, there comes a point where the impact of
randomness can be too high so as to become to influencer in
determining outcomes... and battles being determined by the gods of
the RNG just doesn't seem fun.

Cheers,

Ron