[MUD-Dev] Striving for originality

Damion Schubert damion at ninjaneering.com
Tue Jun 11 12:42:55 CEST 2002

>From Travis Casey

> The end result is that magicians start to make other character
> types superfluous.  One way to fix that is to de-power magic --
> but there are other ways.

>  - Make magic rare -- design things so that not just anyone can be
>  a magician.  The minus side here is that players are going to
>  hate it -- no one's going to want to be told that they're not one
>  of the lucky few who get to play a magician, just because of the
>  roll of the dice.

On Ultima Online 2, we gave each spell it's own mana pool.  This
created some neat side effects, such as we could create incredibly
devastating spells that could only be used once a week.  This was us
trying to get towards what we felt was the real balancing factor of
D&D: a magician's spellcasting ability is very finite, and he has to
make good decisions about when and where to cast his money spells.

--d