[MUD-Dev] software engineer: testing (was: [DGN] Creating a MUD)

Damion Schubert damion at ninjaneering.com
Tue Jun 11 12:42:57 CEST 2002

>From Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
> From: Damion Schubert [mailto:damion at ninjaneering.com]

>> We're pretty big proponents of Extreme Programming here at
>> Ninjaneering.  The confidence that you get from having test
>> suites that test most basic interactions in your code with the
>> press of a button is one that vastly reduces your stress levels.
>> The one problem we've faced with EP is that it has proven more
>> difficult to adhere to its standards when under the fire of an
>> imminent deadline (but isn't that true of all coding
>> philosophies?)

> Do you regularly do pair programming? I'd be interested in your
> results if so.

Yes, we do.  We don't do it as often as the book suggests (i.e. all
the time) and we really fall out of it in crunch time (when we need
lots of little things done in a hurry).

Pair programming is staggeringly effective in other ways, though.
It increases people's understanding of the entire code base.  It
strongly disincentivizes sloppy coding.  It constantly brings the
better implementation path to the fore.  It also creates more
foresight, as two people looking for potential roadblocks is always
better than one.

--d