[MUD-Dev] Ownership

Larry Dunlap larry at intelgames.com
Wed Jun 12 16:23:40 CEST 2002

From: "Koster, Raph" <rkoster at soe.sony.com>
> From: Caliban Tiresias Darklock
> > From: "Matt Mihaly" <the_logos at achaea.com>

>> In a graphical MUD, I may be able to choose between blue eyes or
>> green eyes, but on a text MUD I can have "eyes the pale,
>> near-luminous green of new spring leaves under a late frost". No
>> graphical MUD will *ever* be able to give me that, even if it
>> matched the color I imagined *perfectly*... because I cannot
>> extend the metaphor in a picture.

> Of course it can't. And of course, I myself am in your camp, being
> someone who loves language.

> That said, most people can't come up with the sentence "eyes the
> pale, near-luminous green of new spring leaves under a late
> frost."  Text muds privilege people who are good
> writers. Graphical muds enable people who aren't to participate
> without getting laughed at.

When we can offer character building with the ability to choose from
millions of colors to create the eyes of a character, we will have
come full circle. After all, the language was supposed to represent
an image in the eye of the observer. Not everyone may be able to
write so eloquently but perhaps they'll have the ability to create
the image that was originally there before the poet wrote of it. We
have encircled reality. So much so, that the beholder may be the
avatar owner, who sees attributes within the character that the
observer never really even sees. Omigod! Even more like reality.....

- Larry (The Galactic Effectuator)