[MUD-Dev] Is difficult communication the barrier to community in MMORPGs? (fwd)

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Wed Jun 12 20:08:00 CEST 2002

From: "J C Lawrence" <claw at kanga.nu>

> Does anyone have any thoughts on how to create a MMORPG with
> efficient conversation between player characters?

The single biggest problem for me when playing games that allow
typing messages is that they are usually best *played* with the
mouse.

So when I'm typing a message and need to do something, I have to
switch over to the mouse. This is a very different skill from verbal
communication, so I need to switch gears mentally, too. The
combination of physical and mental gear-switching is very tiring.

I like games that let me play effectively from the keyboard. That
way, I can keep my hands on the keyboard and just MENTALLY switch
gears. Unfortunately, graphical games always want me to use the
mouse, and in many cases even when keyboard control is *possible*
it's distinctly inferior to mouse control.