[MUD-Dev] Ownership

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Wed Jun 12 20:20:40 CEST 2002

From: "Draymoor a Vin il'Rogina" <draymoor at cloud9.net>

> On the other hand, a text mud can't offer the same sense of space
> that a graphical mud does.

Oh, I wouldn't say that; I'd say it *doesn't* offer the same sense
of space, instead. But I'd go so far as to say that text MUDs are
about *thoughts* while graphical MUDs are about *things*. If you're
interested in roleplay, which is about thoughts, a text MUD will
*tend* to support your desires better than a graphical MUD. If
you're interested in combat, which is about things, the converse
would be true. Whenever you try to balance the two, however, you
inevitably have to trade some of one to make room for the
other. Graphics are notoriously bad at portraying thoughts, and text
is notoriously bad at portraying things. We've all played games
where something common is described in a way that we can't tell what
it is, and we've all watched Japanese animation put weird little
unidentifiable icons over the corners of people's faces and
combining them with "stock" expressions to indicate their frame of
mind. (This latter is something of a language all on its own.)