[MUD-Dev] Is difficult communication the barrier to community in MMORPGs? (fwd)

Damion Schubert damion at ninjaneering.com
Thu Jun 13 12:30:48 CEST 2002

From: Caliban Tiresias Darklock

> The single biggest problem for me when playing games that allow
> typing messages is that they are usually best *played* with the
> mouse.

The biggest impediment to good communication in both text muds and
the graphical ones is scrolling text.  Most combat is slow- enoughed
paced that you have time to type a message (if you can't enter an
alias or press a function key), but it does no good to scream
"HEAL!" if that text is going to be washed away in a sea of "The
giant rat attacks YOU for 23 points of damage!"