[MUD-Dev] Breaking down the walls

Christopher Allen ChristopherA at skotos.net
Thu Jun 13 11:59:08 CEST 2002

"Matt Chatterley" <matt at eldoops.co.uk> wrote:

> Heh. True. How common are custom clients these days? I've always
> prefered to just be able to log into a game through my standard
> telnet client and check it out before having to download and
> install anything (mind you, in those days, I was still using a
> modem.. now bandwidth is not an issue, really).

At Skotos we now have 5 that do not require an install:

  - WAPs java client (used in The Eternal City)

  - Skotos' Alice Active-X client (an IE only client used by
  Skotos's Castle Marrach, and WAPs The Eternal City, and the new
  Grendel's Revenge)

  - Skotos' java client (used by Castle Marrach for non-IE users,
  compatible with Alice)

  - Skotos' Zealous client for Mozilla (a Javascript client that
  works only for the Mozilla 1.0 +, in beta and not currently
  released with any game, compatible with Alice)

  - A special-purpose Hegemony map client.

We've also tried a Flash client, but the scroll was too slow.

We've had so many problems with client-side Java that we'll probably
drop support of it in the long run except for any special purpose
things like the Hegemony map client. I suspect in a year we'll have
basically two -- the Alice IE client for the 85% of users that use
IE, and Zealous for the rest.

-- Christopher Allen

.. Christopher Allen                                 Skotos Tech Inc. ..
..                           1512 Walnut St., Berkeley, CA 94709-1513 ..
.. <http://www.Skotos.net>               o510/647-2760  f510/647-2761 ..