[MUD-Dev] Breaking down the walls

Colin Coghill C.Coghill at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Jun 13 15:36:44 CEST 2002

On Thu, 2002-06-13 at 11:38, Matt Chatterley wrote:

> Are potential players (particularly those who are newer to mudding
> as a whole) put off by the idea of needing a special piece of
> software to connect, or has the availability of products such as
> UOL etc made this a less daunting prospect to the community as a
> whole?

I've never yet managed to play a text MUD where I needed a custom
client for long. Every single one I've tried has

  a) Not been available for my computer (I use Linux - great crime)

  b) been /worse/ than the most primitive telnet clients. No
  scrollback, unconfigurable tiny fonts, etc.

  c) been unreliable - when something with the functionality of
  telnet is slow and unstable on a modern computer, I have to
  wonder.

Stick with telnet if you can! That way my /worst/ option is telnet,
and my best options are really rather good (dedicated MUD clients,
command histories, nice fonts, logging to disk, etc).

- Colin