[MUD-Dev] Is difficult communication the barrier to community in MMORPGs? (fwd)

Mark Eaton marke at mac.com
Mon Jun 17 13:09:03 CEST 2002

On Thursday, June 13, 2002, at 09:44  PM, Brian Hook wrote:

> Text communications biggest problem is that it requires you to
> type and it requires a reasonably competent typist.  But
> personally I think voice communications are far, far worse.

I agree that in general I don't want an audio link with random
anonymous people, but I do still want to make text based
communication easier/more efficient/less distracting from the
game. I think speech recognition at some point will be able to give
us the best of both worlds. But that technology is going to have to
get better, and also less resource intensive. Maybe in a couple
years.