[MUD-Dev] Is difficult communication the barrier to community in MMORPGs? (fwd)

Mark Eaton marke at mac.com
Mon Jun 17 13:13:11 CEST 2002

On Thursday, June 13, 2002, at 07:54  PM, Koster, Raph wrote:
> From: "Drew Torrens" <drew.torrens at sympatico.ca>

>> Does anyone have any thoughts on how to create a MMORPG with
>> efficient conversation between player characters?

> Add voice.

I'd like to see more non-verbal channels of communication. I know
there is research being done in facial recognition. I think its
interesting to imagine a future MMOG hooked up to a camera that
would mimic your facial expressions on your avatar, and put an end
once and for all to those fake /emote commands.

good link here:

  http://www.cs.rug.nl/~peterkr/FACE/face.html