[MUD-Dev] The Future of MMOGs... what's next? (fwd)

Brian Lindahl lindahlb at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 18 02:39:05 CEST 2002

From: Sasha.Hart at directory.reed.edu (Sasha Hart)

> Then again, you could just call me an optimist.  Sasha.

I think we're talking about two different subjects here. I
completely agree with you that my opinions have no relevence when it
comes to considering anything BUT MMOGs. But thats what this topic
is about, MMOGs, not MUDs in general. I've yet to see a single MMOG
that has roleplaying as it's center, versus Hack 'n Slash, and my
opinions were directed at this observation. You mention several on
the verge MMOGs, but both DragonRealms and NeverWinter Nights both
still center around Hack 'n Slash, or combat. For future reference,
when I mention MMOGs, I mean MASSIVE multiplayer online games,
upwards of 500+ users.

One may argue that none exist because there isn't enough interest to
make a MUD or GMUD quality as a MMOG, under my definition of 500+
users. My argument here would be that this is because advertisement
money must be spent to get such crowds. The audience is certainly
out there, I believe. Again, advertisement money is only available
in corporate projects, in most cases, and because the audience for
pure MMORPGS (as opposed to hack 'n slash centered MMORPGS) is
significantly smaller, corporations won't invest in a project such
as this, when they could simply invest money in a hack 'n slash
centered MMORPG.

I'll bite my tongue if one shows up, but I think the double-edged
relationship between advertisement and playerbase will not allow for
a pure MMORPG to exist, mainly because the hack 'n slash audience
greatly outnumbers the roleplaying audience.

I wish you had provided me with an example that I could have looked
at and said, hey, you're right. But the pure roleplaying MUDs you
mentioned, such as Armaggadeon, aren't large enough to qualify as
MMOGs, and the MMOGs you mentioned were strongly hack 'n slash
centered.

I think the only chance an pure MMORPG has of existing, is one
created by dedicated coder(s) and dedicated roleplaying expert(s)
who have a large amount of free time, which is a near oxymoron. Even
then, they'd need an exceptional end result to draw the audience on
word of mouth until they can draw enough profit to advertise at a
modest level.

-Brian Lindahl, coder of 'The Cathyle Project'