[MUD-Dev] Text Muds vs Graphical Muds

Kwon Ekstrom justice at softhome.net
Thu Jun 20 12:04:53 CEST 2002

From: "Jeff Lindsey" <Jeff at nextelligence.com>

From: "Philip Loguinov (Draymoor)" <draymoor at cloud9.net>

> a single text mud with even 1000 players). Is it better
> advertising, or perhaps that there are just more people who's
> preference is graphical over imaginative?

So was I, but the question was why.  I was explaining why I thought
individual muds were smaller than individual MMORPG's.  There's
simply a whole hell of alot more of them to dilute the playerbase
in.  Some are extremely successful (as far as text muds go) others
less so.  Most text muds I know have a high amount of "player churn"
and even the stable players who stick around often play and try out
a variety of other muds.

I don't particularly like graphical muds, so I haven't played them
very much, but judging from the posts of people on this list that
do, it's the same setup for graphical muds.  Sometimes during your
wanderings you find a mu* that suites you better and you switch.
There's alot more choices in the text-mud arena for players to find
something that closely fits what they want to spend their time doing
so they switch.

I've run across several people who started in a graphical mud and
switched to text and vice-versa.

-- Kwon J. Ekstrom