[MUD-Dev] The Future of MMOGs... what's next? (fwd)

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Thu Jun 20 16:57:13 CEST 2002

From: Matt Mihaly [mailto:the_logos at achaea.com]

> There's definitely something to it, and it's a shame more small
> developers can't stop themselves from drooling over the latest
> pretty graphics.

I wonder how far one could get with a mud which had a high quality
muds depth, but also 2/2.5D gfx. You could certainly make inroads
with player created content in that vetting simple 2d gfx (without
animation at least initially) wouldn't be very resource intensive,
and I bet people would be being willing to pay for it. Instead of
buying a prefab house, you could let people draw their own furniture
and walls etc. The more I think on it, the more I think 2.5D would
be a mistake as that requires considerably more drawing talent
(perspective ;) ).

If so few people really do read room descriptions, one has to wonder
whats so great about them.

Graphics aren't intrinsically bad, I think its the tendancy to
over-reach.

Dan