[MUD-Dev] Text Muds vs Graphical Muds

eric ericleaf at pacbell.net
Thu Jun 20 19:00:55 CEST 2002

From: "Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <olag at ifi.uio.no>
> Matt Mihaly <the_logos at achaea.com> writes:

>> of the market, maybe 1/3 do. That's an extremely optimistic
>> estimate of 375k text MUD users. Everquest alone has more
>> subscribers than that, and Lineage has millions of players.

>  (It is not uncommon to have multiple accounts in EQ and Lineage
>  is different..?)

I think its the inverse in Korea and Sing with Lineage, I played
this briefly a while back and got to know a few group players. That
is they share accounts, and share individual players on those
accounts. They set this up so that each person plays the character
in shifts so that they can quickly advance to the max level, and
then be useful in castle battles. And they do this with a number of
characters on the account so that more options are available to them
in any castle battles. Its not likely that a large percentage do
this, since AFAIK they can't play multiple characters on the same
account at the same time, but to even put in the time and timeshare
a character like this is likely a foreign concept to americans and
especially american teens.

So in other words Lineage numbers of a million accounts, is likely
low if you want the numbers for actual players.