[MUD-Dev] It's About Time Department (Mule Characters)

eric ericleaf at pacbell.net
Thu Jun 20 19:21:32 CEST 2002

From: "shren" <shren at io.com>
> On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, ghovs wrote:

>> It seems to me like a good idea ruined by a nonsensical twist to
>> the implementation.

> That's Dungeon Siege.  You've summed up the whole game in one
> sentence.  It's the first game I've played that has made the user
> interface so friendly that it practically beats the game for you.

You say that like its a bad thing, I think its a good thing. Here is
another example where the interface is good and it does all the work
for you: a DVD movie.  For further support here is a brief scale of
entertainment versus work, its a bit of an overgeneralization, but
I'd be interested to hear other's feelings on the subject.

In order of increasing work for the reward of entertainment

  1. sleeping
  2. television/movies
  3. Metal Gear Solid 2
  4. Puzzle games, Tetris, Breakout, the simple sort, and good FPS (Quake)
  5. Dungeon Siege
  6. Some of the better PvP oriented muds (for instance MUD1)
  7. reading a book
  8. Most RTS and micromanagement games
  9. Most RPGs
  10. most muds

Notable points is that in a PvP mud, the work isn't really different
than "most muds" however, I only do half of it, because the other
players/enemies will come looking for me. Its just a rough
estimate. And why are most muds more work than reading a book? Well,
they are all almost as much text with varying levels of quality, but
in a book the author skims past the boring details.  This is just a
factor of the two things work and entertainment, and its obviously a
personal list. I don't consider TV/movies more compelling than MGS2,
its just a lot less work. And sleeping I'm forced to do so I don't
particular seek it out as an entertainment medium.