[MUD-Dev] Text Muds vs Graphical Muds

Michael Tresca talien at toast.net
Sun Jun 30 11:06:12 CEST 2002

Matt Mihaly posted on Friday, June 28, 2002 2:11 AM

> I'm not sure what you're advocating here. Are you saying you don't
> allow anyone who can't code to be an admin? I'd have to disagree
> with the effectiveness of that policy, if that's the case. Our

Hrm, perhaps I oversimplified.

Staff must be active.  Your mileage may vary as to what staff do on
your MUD.

What I'm advocating is that staff which are not actively monitored
is usually a sign that the MUD's on its way out.  To put it another
way, if you can't be bothered with the staff, why should the staff
be bothered with the MUD?

This is typically the first step in a MUD's eventual collapse: staff
that go into "retirement" who have been there forever.  When your
staff is no longer active and nobody else seems to be doing about
it, the MUD atrophies.  If an admin has one responsibility, and does
nothing else, ensuring that staff actively participate in the game
should be a minimum requirement.

There are of course unique situations (like a staff member moving or
being on vacation or in the hospital), wherein staff is missing for
months.  But after a certain point, if you're not active in the
game, you will have difficulty effectively contributing to it when
you return.

As a result of this policy, we weed out the folks who want to screw
around without ever investing in the game vs. the staff who are
genuinely engaged and want to volunteer their time.  Just because
most staff roles on MUDs are not paying positions, doesn't mean they
can't be run professionally.

Mike "Talien" Tresca
RetroMUD Administrator
http://www.retromud.org/talien