[MUD-Dev] Re: The Future of MMOGs... what's next?

Michael Tresca talien at toast.net
Sun Jun 30 11:11:05 CEST 2002

Travis Casey posted on Friday, June 28, 2002 1:46 PM

> Does the GM have authority over who can and can't play on his/her
> server?

Yes.

> If the GM does, what information does he/she have access to in
> order to make that decision?

Not sure as I've had it for a day (and subsequently spent 10+ hours
with it).  I think it's completely informal -- there's no built-in
review process, the prospective player would have to contact the DM
somehow and come to an agreement.

> Personally, I see NWN's server mode as a semi-automated way to run
> a regular D&D game -- like WebRPG or OpenRPG, but in 3-D and with
> a lot more automation.  Coming from a paper D&D perspective, it
> doesn't matter to me whether someone got their character "legally"
> -- all that matters is whether or not that character is
> appropriate to the adventure being run, and whether the player is
> a decent player (by which I mean someone who's going to be fun to
> play with, not necessarily someone who's "better" at playing the
> game).

Absolutely.  This is going to bug a lot of people.  NWN is far less
like a MMORPG, far more like a MUSH.  If people don't like you, they
can ignore you right out of existence.

If NWN gets popular enough, people will be playing in millions of
their own NWN conclaves and all the jerks will be PKing each other
on MMORPGs.  AHAHAHHA.  Ahem.  Sorry.

P.S. It's not the ultimate game in the world, it still has
bugs...but I was able to spend 10 minutes on customizing a
battleaxe.  For builders, our productivity in all our other ventures
is about to go waaaaaaay down. >:)

Mike "Talien" Tresca
RetroMUD Administrator
http://www.retromud.org/talien