[MUD-Dev] Enforced log out aka "real sleep"

Marc Bowden ryumo at merit.edu
Mon Mar 4 08:05:43 CET 2002

--On Thursday, February 28, 2002 13:36 -0700 fred at clift.org wrote:

> For a mud-like game, I dont know how you could justify it in game,
> but you could make players less effective in skills or combat or
> whatever the longer they stay connected in each real-time period
> (24 hours or whatever).

The best proposal I ever got for this (and rejected at the time) was
the concept of long-term endurance. In a nutshell, you would
eventually get sleepy as your LTE was depleted, and start eating
penalties to your skills. LTE was regained only while the player was
logged off, at a rate roughly equivalent to the time offset of the
MUD (1:12).

Why did I reject the idea? Because I realized pretty much
immediately that the powergamer would simply log out one character
to 'rest' and log in another one. ;)

You can try to direct the behavior, but you can't change the mindset
behind it.

--
Marc Bowden - Soulsinger         Dreamshadow:The Legacy of the Three
  ryumo at merit.edu                                 209.48.36.2 3333