[MUD-Dev] Quake II has gone GPL

Travis Nixon tnixon at avalanchesoftware.com
Mon Mar 4 09:49:16 CET 2002

From: "shren" <shren at io.com>
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, Travis Nixon wrote:

>> Yes, but both these examples of client side cheating (trading
>> items that weren't meant to be traded and moving faster than was
>> intended) were because they violated the prime law of online
>> games.

>> Never trust the client.

>> They took shortcuts without considering the consequences of those
>> shortcuts.

>> And thank you for the two fine examples of why "security through
>> obscurity" doesn't work.  :)

> You did a lot of snipping there.  Part of the text indicates why,
> for the sake of constant movement, the server has to let the
> client have some say over where he is.  It's not a short cut, it's
> a requirement.  Otherwise, in a 3d enviornment, you can only move
> as fast as the packet time.

Here's the thing though.  I completely understand the necessity.  I
never argued that movement should be entirely server side.  That's
patently silly.

The unfounded trust here isn't that they let the client handle the
movement.  Its the fact that they trusted the client to do it
correctly and rationally, without doing even the simplest of
server-side checks to keep the client honest.