[MUD-Dev] Time Theory

David C.Z. Wacks david at dreamzion.com
Tue Mar 12 08:44:40 CET 2002

I have been playing with Time and Events and wanted to get some
usage and thoughts from the group. I am soliciting as much input as
possible as this make a huge playability difference.

Some problems I see with mud time:

  1. day/evening go by very quickly. no real advantage for
  daytime/nocturnal creatures. e.g. drow/vampires that are harmed by
  daylight

  2. Hard for the player to understand or even care about timings/
  months/ events/ etc

  3. no synchronization to real world events

  4. time has no real meaning other than when shops open/close

I am toying with the idea of keeping ticks for events
(healing/combat/etc) but using real time to synch mud time. so 1
day=1 day

The only real problem I see is using aging affects or time elapse
events.

I have quite a bit specc'd out but wanted a sanity check as well as
other ideas.

Thanks,
Sardon
http://www.dreamzion.com